Ahead of the 2026 F1 Canadian GP, Max Verstappen has strongly suggested he will continue racing in Formula 1 in 2027, if a proposal to reduce the engines’ electric power dependency is agreed on in the 2027 regulation changes.
The four-time World Champion has been one of the most vocal critics of Formula 1’s 2026 engine regulations, which has introduced new power units featuring a 50/50 split between combustion and electric power.
However, discussions are now underway regarding a potential adjustment in 2027 to a 60/40 split in favour of the V6 combustion engine. The proposal would increase fuel flow and reduce MGU-K output during qualifying sessions, creating driving characteristics closer to 2025 Formula 1 machinery and reducing the extreme battery dependency expected under the current 2026 regulations.
Speaking during his Thursday print media session in Montreal, Verstappen admitted the proposed changes have moved the sport in what he sees as the right direction.
“It’s definitely heading into a very positive direction, he said. “I think it’s the minimum I was hoping for and I think it’s really nice that that’s what they want to do. That’s definitely what I think also the sport needs.”
Proposed 2027 engine regulation changes
Throughout the 2026 season so far, Verstappen has repeatedly stressed the importance of Formula 1 maintaining a strong on-track product, previously hinting that the category’s future direction could influence how long he remains in the championship.
When asked whether the proposed regulation changes had increased the likelihood of him staying in F1 beyond next season, Verstappen admitted they had positively impacted his outlook.
“Yeah, definitely,” he explained. “I just want a good product in Formula 1 and that will for sure improve the product.”
The Dutchman was also questioned on whether his recent experiences outside Formula 1, including his Nürburgring Nordschleife outing and continued GT3 involvement, had changed his perspective on racing and enjoyment behind the wheel.
“It was also just depending on the future rules, right?” Verstappen said. “So what I said before with the changes, hopefully that will happen next year. That will already help a lot.”
“Because I’ve always said it doesn’t matter if I had a good car or not, it’s just a product. And I think the product will improve by that. So naturally I think that the enjoyment will go up as well.”
Verstappen’s future in F1 beyond 2026
Although Verstappen stopped short of giving a definitive commitment to Formula 1 beyond 2026, he made it clear that he has always intended to continue racing, provided meaningful improvements were introduced.
“Like I said before, it will make the product better,” Verstappen explained. “So that means that I’m happier. That’s what I want to be able to continue in F1.”
“Yes or no, it doesn’t matter. I mean, for me, I’m happy where I’m at. I see the team really progressing and that’s also very exciting to see.”
“And for me, I always wanted to continue anyway. But I always wanted to see change. And I think the change that’s coming now is definitely very, very positive. Or at least I would say almost back to normal. So that’s good.”
However, Verstappen also acknowledged that the proposal still requires formal approval and warned that politics between teams could still complicate the process.
“That’s right,” he said. “And we have to wait and see until it’s fully confirmed. And that definitely needs to happen.”





